Kitty litter often makes an appearance in lists for auto emergency kits or winter safety tips – but why is this strange “tool” so popular? What is it for? Does it really work?
Here, we address three “myths” about cat litter to help you stay safe on slick winter roads in Grand Forks, ND. Before you find yourself stuck (without cat litter), make sure your car can handle winter conditions – call our team at 701-746-6790.
Myth #1 – Cat litter provides Traction
TRUE! If your vehicle gets stuck in a snow bank or on a slick road, cat litter can help create the traction you need to get out. Pour a little around your tires to give them something to grip as you navigate onto the road. The non-clumping kind works best for extra traction on slick roads.
Myth #2 – Cat Litter Weighs Down your Car
TRUE! As cat owners know, bags of cat litter are heavy. When you’re not stuck in the snow, the weight of cat litter in your trunk can also help improve traction by adding weight to the back end of your vehicle. Especially in trucks and cars that are front heavy, a little extra weight in the rear of your vehicle can help stabilize you, keeping you in control of your vehicle on slick roads.
Myth #3 – Cat litter is an alternative to “Ice Melt”
FALSE! Cat litter does NOT act as an “ice melt” for your driveway. While it will provide traction for vehicles and pedestrians on ice, it will not speed up melting of the ice (the way salt ice melt does – salt lowers the freezing point of water to help it melt faster). In fact, as the ice starts to melt, the kitty litter may absorb the moisture, leaving you with slippery, wet clay to sweep away.
Drive safely on the winter roads across Grand Forks this season. Don’t forget to pick up some cat litter for your winter auto emergency kit – store a bag in your trunk for weigh and traction on slick roads. To make sure your vehicle is prepared for winter road conditions, schedule an appointment or call 701-746-6790.
Winter roads are slick in Grand Forks, and across North Dakota. As you drive along snowy, icy roads this winter, use extra caution to remain in control of your vehicle to avoid slides and skids.
At Golden Rule Automotive, we’ve seen many of our customers’ vehicles suffer damage from sliding into a curb on slick winter roads. Even though this seems like a small mistake, hitting a curb can have major impacts on your car. Don’t ignore it! Stop by our auto shop to have an inspection before small damage causes big problems. Call us at (701) 746-6790 to schedule an appointment.
Potential issues from hitting a curb:
- Hitting a curb even going as slow as 5-10 mph can have a major impact on the performance of your tires. Tire wear damage is possible in as little as 200 miles after a curb impact.
- Tie Rods are the connection between your steering system and the wheels. Any damage to the tie rods can severely inhibit your ability to steer, especially important when roads are slick.
- The control arms allow up and down movement of the suspension while holding the knuckles, spindles, and axles firmly onto the car. Jarring from hitting a curb can cause extreme damage to the control arms and suspension of your vehicle.
- A steering knuckle contains the wheel hub or spindle and attaches to the suspension components. It is variously called a steering knuckle, spindle, upright or hub, as well. Damage to steering knuckles also impacts suspension and steering your vehicle.
- Tires and Wheels can be damaged as well. If you suspect tire damage, have it inspected immediately to avoid costly problems.
What should you do?
If you hit a curb, call us at (701) 746-6790 to schedule an inspection as soon as possible. Our certified technicians will make sure your vehicle can keep you safely on the road, without risking extensive damage and costly future repairs.
An alignment check is a small expense, but can save your vehicle many miles and dollars from costly issues. If an adjustment is needed, this inspection can save many miles on your tires, and help you get more miles out of every dollar if other issues are found (by catching and fixing small problems before they lead to extensive damage and costly repairs). But more importantly, a check will provide peace of mind that you and your family will stay safe while driving, especially as it gets really cold in North Dakota.
Don’t ignore the fact that you just hit a curb! Call today to have your vehicle inspected.
Stay safe and warm this week (and all winter) in Grand Forks. To prepare your vehicle for cold weather, stop by Golden Rule Automotive for an inspection: (701) 746-6790.